Elder Fisher - Trinidad Port of Spain Mission

Monday, February 20, 2017

Hindu Celebration

Hey its so good to hear from everyone! Sounds like home is doing awesome! The new Avenger movie sounds cool. I can't wait to come home and watch all of the new superhero movies!!! 

Okay first your questions! Shawn! Shawn is doing great! We saw him last night and are going to teach him again tonight. We invited him to be baptized on March 18 and at first he wasn't sure if he would be ready by then so he didn't accept the date or decline it. We invited him to pray about it before we left and when we came back we asked him if he had prayed about it and he said he had and he feels he will be ready by March 18th! He is still progressing very well and asking lots of good questions. He is understanding very well. Shawn is awesome! 

Muslims in Guyana... There are lots and lots! Not as many as Hindus but still plenty. The biggest religion here is Hindu then Muslim then Christianity. The Muslim people here are all very good people and very kind and polite. Shawn is actually a Muslim! 

Now the Alligator man Questions. When I first asked him to make me an alligator case I told him there was no rush and to take his time since Christmas and new years and all these other holidays were coming up. When I took Elder Cooper by there last week he was showing us all of his stuff and Elder Cooper decided he wanted one too and he said since I have been so patient with mine he is going to make our scripture cases out of his oldest and biggest alligator skins that he can't get anymore and that he was going to give them to us for cheaper then everyone else and we are picking them up this afternoon so I will send pictures next week! The Alligator Man took the discussions a long time ago and likes our message but is more interested in his christian church. We asked him about hunting alligators and he said he used to go hunting for them a lot but now he gets other people to hunt them for him and buys the alligators from them, kills them, skins them, and does all the leather work. He loves what he does though! 

I definitely understand the language a lot better but some people are just tough. I'm getting the talking on the phone down but some people speak strait gibberish here. There is a lot of different slang here and so I'm working on the vocabulary a lot right now. The thick accent I can mostly understand but still a few I really struggle and have to listen closely. 

Oh, I went to a Hindu celebration for one of our investigators and they fed us with 7 curry! Its really tasty and you eat it out of a leaf. We also used cutlasses to cut the grass in an investigators yard. That's their lawnmowers here. Anyways I think that's everything!

A picture of the sunset 


Elder Cooper and I holding cutlases after doing some weeding with me cutting the grass 



Me eating 7 curry for the first time. Oh and you have to eat it with your hands. 


The sea wall at low tide! 



Love Elder Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment