Elder Fisher - Trinidad Port of Spain Mission

Monday, November 21, 2016

Guyana -- First Area

 Co-operative Republic of Guyana,[9] is a sovereign state on the northern mainland of South America. It is, however, included in the Caribbean Region due to its strong cultural, historical, and political ties with the Caribbean Community. Guyana is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the north, Brazil to the south and southwest, Suriname to the east and Venezuela to the west. With 215,000 square kilometres (83,000 sq mi), Guyana is the fourth-smallest country on mainland South America after UruguaySuriname and French GuianaOriginally inhabited by several indigenous groups, Guyana was settled by the Dutch before coming under British control in the late 18th century.The legacy of British rule is reflected in the country's diverse population, which includes Indian, African, Amerindian, and multiracial groups.Guyana also has the distinction of being the only South American nation in which English is the official language. The majority of the population, however, speak Guyanese Creole, an English-based creole language with slight Dutch, Arawakan and Caribbean influences.

My first impression of Trinidad as I got off the the plane was that it is going to be awesome.We got to Trinidad and spent too nights there where we met our president and had an orientation of the mission. My mission president seems like a hard working and dedicated man. 
My first area is the Vreed - En-Hoop area. Its the largest area in the mission and basically covers the entire west coast of Guyana.  The area is very nice. Well pretty dirty and the ocean water is brown. Its very hot and humid. Lots of rain. Lots of lizards here and i have seen some alligators too. Everyone here says Guyana is the best part of the mission. So far I am enjoying myself.
My companion is Elder Paul and he is from Alabama. I like him he's pretty cool.
Guyana has lots of small little towns and the ocean. Its very hot today but its the rainy season right now so it hasn't been as hot as it can be. There's a lot more poverty here but everyone is very friendly.
Oh and they did not prepare me for the language down here at all. They do not speak English. They read and right English and understand it but they do not speak  it. They speak cree-a-lese (not sure how to spell it) So yeah I am having a very difficult time understanding everyone. Creealese is the most broken English in the world. It sounds nothing even close to English. Occasionally you can pick out an English word and that's it. I have been praying very hard to be able to understand them. Luckily my companion can understand them pretty well
Love Elder Fisher

Here's some pictures of me getting off the plane, a random cow tied to a pole, and my companion and I hanging out with some boys by the ocean wall

















Note from the editor:
About 2 hours after getting Elder Fishers email i received a Facebook message from Corrie (Taylor) Dewsnup (my cousins daughter) who sent me a picture.
It happens that Elder Paul who is Justins companion is Nash and Madelines best friend from Alabama. She told us that Elder Paul is very proud of his ability to cook alligator. "Justin is in good if not entertaining hands."
Thank you Corrie for sending this to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment